This splendid funfetti cake recipe is made from scratch, and is so smooth to make. It’s wet, and packed with flavor and sprinkles!!
- 3/4 cup of rainbow jimmies or long strand sprinkles (130 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature (345 grams)
- gel food coloring (if desired)
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract (6 grams)
- 1 cup pasteurized egg whites from a carton (or about 7 egg whites) (235 grams)
- 1 tsp salt (6 grams)
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil (28 grams)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (8 grams)
- 3 cups granulated sugar (600 grams)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (10 grams)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (390 grams)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (226 grams) – 2 sticks
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract (18 grams)
- 11 cups powdered sugar (1375 grams)
- 1 tsp salt (6 grams)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream) (75 grams)
- 3 cups unsalted butter, room temperature (678 grams)
- Wilton 1M
- Fancy sprinkle blend
- Deep pink and Turquoise gel food coloring (optional)
Funfetti Cake Layers :
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 4 7 inch pans or 3 8 inch round pans with parchment rounds, and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together all dry substances (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt) in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer till absolutely mixed.
- Mix chunks of room-temperature butter slowly into the dry blend, on a low speed. Continue to combine till no massive chunks of butter stay, and the combination turns into crumbly.
- Pour in egg whites, and blend on low till simply included. Mix in the buttermilk in two installments, on a low speed.
- Add in vanilla extract, almond extract, and oil, and blend at a low pace till fully included. Scrape down the edges of the bowl with a spatula, then beat on low velocity for approximately 15 seconds (the key’s to mix until the substances are JUST incorporated, so that the batter is not over-combined).
- If preferred, add in gel meals coloring. Mix the colour in with the aid of hand using a rubber spatula, scraping the edges and bottom of the bowl element way through. Mix until the batter is lightly colored.
- Fold the sprinkles into the cake batter using a rubber spatula, just they have got lightly distributed.
- Divide batter lightly between the organized cake pans.
- Bake for 35-36 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out easy. Allow the pans to cool for 10 mins, then run an offset spatula around perimeter of the pan to split the cake from the pan.
- Place cake layers into the freezer for 45 minutes, to accelerate the cooling method. Once the layers are completely cooled, carefully flip the pans and dispose of the layers from the pans.
- Use a serrated knife to level the tops of the layers, and then frost as desired.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting :
- While the cake layers bake and funky, make the vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Beat the butter on a medium speed for 30 seconds with a paddle attachment or hand mixer, until easy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and salt and mix on a low pace.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Alternate with small splashes of cream.
- Once completely combined, beat on low until for a pair more mins to make the frosting splendid clean and push any extra air out of the frosting.
- If the frosting is too thick, upload in additional cream (1 teaspoon at a time). If the frosting is simply too skinny, add in greater powdered sugar (region of a cup at a time).
- If you propose to coloration the buttercream, upload in the gel food coloring once the frosting is fully made.
- Reserve approximately 1 half of cups of frosting to shade a separate shade, to pipe swirls on pinnacle of the cake. Place this frosting in a piping bag in shape with a Wilton 1M frosting tip.
- Color the closing frosting with gel meals coloring.
- In this cake, I used turquoise Americolor gel food coloring to make the blue frosting, and deep purple americolor gel food coloring for the swirls on pinnacle of the cake.
To Assemble The Cake :
- Stack and frost cake layers on a greaseproof cake board, the usage of a dab of frosting to assist stick the primary cake layer to the board.
- Add a good layer of buttercream between every cake layer with a huge offset spatula.
- Spread a skinny coat of frosting across the the cake, to completely cover the cake layers. Smooth using a bench scraper, then kick back the cake within the refrigerator (20 minutes) or freezer (10 minutes) till the frosting is firm to the touch.
- Add a 2d, thicker layer of frosting to the cake, and easy the usage of a bench scraper. Then beautify as preferred!
Make your cake layers in advance and freeze them: It breaks the manner up and make it extra approachable.
Make your frosting in advance of time too, or store any leftover frosting! It may be stored in an airtight box in the refrigerator for as much as a month, or in the freezer for up to a few months. Be positive to present it an awesome stir as soon as it thaws to get the consistency nice and easy again.
A frosted cake can ultimate in the refrigerator for up to per week, or within the freezer for as much as a month. The buttercream locks in all of the moisture, maintaining the cake clean and delicious!
If you narrow into the cake and feature leftovers, use any ultimate frosting to cover the reduce segment to hold it moist and keep inside the refrigerator for up to every week.
- Calories: 682
- Sugar: 80g
- Sodium: 286mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 94g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
Keywords: Funfetti Cake Recipe: Easy Recipe Made From Scratch